Department of English
• The Department was established in 1959 with the beginning of this college.
• Since its beginning the Department of English has been working actively, imparting good education to students at Graduate and Post Graduate level.
• The Department has given a large number of teachers, professors, principals, police inspectors, army officers, lawyers and social workers to the society from its students. The alumni of this department have brought great credit to our college.
• Even today our students bring credit to our college with their bright performance in curricular and co-curricular activities. They lead fields like music, oratory, quiz, etc.
• The department has a rich legacy of dedicated scholarly teachers like late Prof. K.N. Iyer, late Prof. H. C. Trivedi, Prof. A. K. Bhatt, Prof. B. K. Thakkar, Prof. B. N. Pathak, Prof. Dr. V. S. Patel, Prof. L.M. Revadiwala, and Prof. K. T. Deria as heads of the department in the past.
• Currently Prof. A.B.Trivedi is heading the Department.
• The department has been fortunate to have dedicated teachers.
• Two of our present teachers are reading for their Ph.D.
• Besides regular teaching, the department also takes care to develop communicative skills among its students through its skill development programmes of English Proficiency Club.
• To create among our students awareness for English.
• To develop among our students required language skills in English.
• Overall development of personality of students.
• Aims & Objectives:
• Enabling our students to develop skills in English Language: Listening, Speaking, Reading, Writing and Communication Skills.
• Enhancing students’ interest and understanding in literature and enriching their understanding of life by it.
• An overall development of student’s personality through extracurricular activities of our English Proficiency Club.
• Providing good and efficient teachers of English to the society.
• An overall academic development of Faculty members of the Department.
• Career Opportunities in English :
• Learning a global language gives global exposure and global opportunities.
• Competence in English gives ample opportunities of jobs as it helps very much in competitive exams.
• Ample opportunities exist in the field of translation for the students of English.
• English knowing persons are in great demand in various fields like education, banking, journalism, marketing, multinational companies, hotel industry and many such fields.
• In the field of publication also English knowing persons can work as proof readers.
• Faculty List :
|Sr. No.||Name:||Designation||Degree||Mobile No.|
Trivedi Arvindkumar Babulal
|Associate Professor & Head||M.A.;M.Phil.||9377719200|
Patel Vishnubhai Ishvardas
Patel Rajesh Shivabhai
Prajapati Paresh D.
Adhyapak Chaitali S.
|Ad-hoc Lecturer||M.A., B.Ed||9426049389|
• Faculty List :
|Sr. No.||Name||OP/RC||Seminar/ Conference/ Workshops||Papers Presented||Papers Published||Book Published|
|1.||Mr. A. B.Trivedi||3||15||2||2||0|
|2.||Mr. V. I. Patel||4||16||1||1||1|
|3.||Mr. R. S. Patel||4||19||1||1||0|
|5.||Ms. C. S. Adhyapak||-||-||-||-||-|
• Student Strength of the Department :
|Class||B.A Sem-I||B.A Sem-III||B.A Sem-V||M.A Sem-I|
|Total no. of Students||215||223||165||72|
• Exam Method: (Semester System) :
Evaluation as per the pattern prescribed by CBCS
Formative Evaluation-Seminar: 05 Marks
-Assignments/Term-papers: 05 Marks
Summative Evaluation-Internal Evaluation Tests (30%)
-External Exam (University Exam 70%)
• Result T.Y.B.A. (Special Only) :
• Activities of the Department under English Proficiency Club :
The following activities are done every year:
• Prize Distribution and Freshers’ Welcome
• Orientation Course for new entrants
• Book Exhibition for Students of Core English exhibiting all textbooks, reference books, all study material and important websites
• An Essay Competition for students to develop the writing skills
• A Debate / Elocution Competition for development of oratory skills among students
• A Poetry Reading/ Recitation Competition
• A Literary Quiz Competition
• An Academic Tour once a year for the development of community life and environment awareness among students
• Lectures by Experts in English and BISAG / SANDHAN lectures for students
• SCOPE Training for English improvement and testing by Cambridge University
• Teacher’s Day Celebration
• Books and Magazines of English in the Library :
|Total No. of Books||5173|
|Magazines / Periodicals and Journals||05|